Thursday, June 4, 2009

Rabbi Manis Friedman

As a rabbi, a spokeperson for Crown Heights and as one of the few having the Rebbe's express permission to be involved in the political process, let me say the following:

I have been interviewed hundreds of times by various newspapers. It happens much more often than you can imagine, that a journalist purposely asks questions without clarity as to exactly what they mean.

A journalist has no problem conducting an interview for 45 minutes for the purpose of fishing out one statement one sentence or one word upon which he might create sensation.

If we agree with what Rabbi Friedman said or not is totally immaterial. Rabbi Friedman said that his response was to a specific scenario, and that his words were presented out of context.

I for one believe him and trust that he is telling the truth over Moment.

Those of us who know rabbi friedman know him to be a loving and compassionate individual, almost famous for being mild-mannered. He has never ever called for violence. No Jew is rushing to firebomb a Mosk because of his words. I support him 100%, and I urge you to do the same.

Keep in mind the following:

1. Those who hate us disparaged us before Rabbi Friedman's remarks and will continue to do so even after ten-thousand "retractions". Those who love and appreciate us know the true nature of Chabad, and Rabbi Manis Friedman.

2. In regard to the practical response to balebatim and others who want our response: ask them to consider the amount of good Rabbi Friedman has accomplished, the number of baalei teshuvah he has created and the sheer number of people he has educated and inspired. A career like his should have earned enough clout by now - If he says he was misunderstood, he was misunderstood.

3. I understand everyone is on shpilkes from the "impending PR disaster" and what the "Arab press" will report, but there really will be a tomorrow. And if we want it to be a bright one, we must forget these shtussim and diligently continue the Rebbe's work besimcha uvetuv levov.

As always, I wish you growing hatzlocha in your endeavors.

Sincerely,



Rabbi Shea Hecht

1 comment:

Pamela Geller said...

Friedman is a mensch. Another blood libel against a righteous Jew.

Any time we speak in terms of our right to live and fight back, they crush us.

Rabbi Friedman has nothing to apologize for.

I stand with him. I am proud of him